Thursday, June 26, 2014

ENGINEERING SUCCESS

I'm not the engineering type.  Just throw stuff in a box and take off on an adventure.  But then Tuesday came--the day before we and our bikes were to leave for the Arctic--and with the new day came a fully assembled engineer. Rick, my co-adventurer for the Polar Cycling Expedition, walked into my garage, on that Tuesday and created  a process for getting our bikes ready for flight.  Rick found out the airline requirements for box sizes, then took approprieate measurements.  

Next came Project Dismemberment. We  dismantled our bikes (Seeing my bike in itty bitty pieces would have created panic, but then, I'm not an engineer).  We carefully placed our disassembled tubes, wheels, and nuts and bolts into the boxes we had fabricated for our flight to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.  


Eight hours into Tuesday and I stood proudly beside our two big bike boxes that could actually serve the dual purpose of bike transsports or coffins and realized the importance of engineering minds.  
I'm still not the engineering type, but I have ramped up my appreciation and admiration of this amazing species of humanity.  So remember, if your pedals are between the two wheels on your bike and not somewhere on the handlebars, thank an engineer.  
I sure did.


No comments:

Post a Comment