Wednesday, July 16, 2014

WHY I DO WHAT I DO

I have to be honest with you.  I do what I do (pedaling insanely long bike tours) because I like the risk, the challenge, the possiblity of failure, and the sense of accomplishment when I pump that last pedal that reaches my goal--in this case, going from the Arctic to Missoula, about 3,300 miles (plus however miles I get lost with, go shopping around town with, and run from charging bears with).

But I am just as honest when I tell you that I ride to raise support and awareness for a miracle-in-the-making.  What's the miracle?  Changing the world--one family at a time.



I take teams to South Africa to build homes (okay, and we also go sight-seeing, go on safari, and go to museums). And better yet, we work alongside Afrikaaners, black Africans, Germans, youth, and retired people.  Together we build a brick, 600 square foot home in ten days and then invite a worthy township-dweller to live in our neighborhood.  

In turn, she (usually a single mom parent) agrees to blend into her own family two or more HIV-AIDS affected or infected orphaned children. Finally, we--MOSAICSA.ORG--helps this mom to learn a skill and also helps to find markets for her products.  That creates an economic loop of wellness, dignity, and freedom from poverty.  

Through all of the process there is prayer, the presence of Jesus, and God's hands and feet and heart.  

What is it that you might consider doing that might change the world?  Maybe you're already doing it!  Yay!  Keep on!  If, on the other hand, you've not been on a change the world adventure lately, consider joining me in South Africa!  That's right!  South Africa!  Together, we can change the world!  Email me, let's talk!

thall12152@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment